We load mercilessly our eyes, sitting in front of computer screens. But really it is a unique organ, of which science knows not all.
1. Brown eyes are actually blue underneath the brown pigment and as a result there exists a laser procedure to turn brown eyes blue permanently.
2. The pupil of your eye expands as much as 45% when you look at someone you love.
3. Human corneas are so similar to shark corneas that they have been used as a replacement in human eye surgery.
4. It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
5. Our eyes can distinguish between 500 shades of grey.
6. Each eye contains 107,000,000 cells and all of them are light sensitive.
7. One in every 12 males is colour blind.
8. The human eye can see only three colours – red, green and blue, all the ither colours are combinaion of these.
9. Our eyes are about 1 inch across and weigh about 8 grammes.
10. Out of all the muscles in our body the muscles that control the eyes are the most active.
11. Your eyes always remain the same size once you are born, but your ears and nose will never stop growing.
12. Only one syxth of the eyeball is exposed.
13. In an average life, eyes see 24 000000 different images.
14. While a fingerprint has 40 unique characteristics, an iris has 256. This is why retina scans are increasingly being used for security purposes.
15. People say “in the blink of an eye” because it’s the fastest muscle in the body. A blinc lasts 100 to 150 milliseconds and it’s possible to blink five times in a second.
16. Eyes transmit to the brain enormous amount of information every hour. The capacity of this channel is comparable to ISPs channels of a big city.
17. Our eyes focuse on about 50 things per second.
18. The images that are sent to your brain are actually backwards and upside down.
19. Eyes use about 56% of brainpower, more than any other organ.
20. Each eyelash “lives” about 5 months.
21. The Mayans believed that cross-eyes are attractive and would make efforts to ensure their children became cross-eyed.
22. If your eyes are blue, you share a common ancestor with every other blue-eyed individual in the world. 10,000 years ago everyone’s eyes were brown until someone developed genetic mutation that made their eyes blue.
23. If you have only one red eye on photo, there’s a chance that you have a tumor of the eye (if both eyes look in the same direction to the camera). Fortunately, the cure rate is 95%.
24. Schizophrenia can be diagnosed with an accuracy of 98.3% by a simple test for eye movement.
25. Humans and dogs are the only species known to seek visual cues from another individual’s eyes, and dogs only do it when interacting whith humans.
26. About 2% of women have a rare genetic mutation that enables them to have an extra retinal cone in their eyes. This allows them to see 100 million colours.
27. Johnny Depp’s left eye is blind and the right eye is short-sighted.
28. There were a case of conjoined twins from Canada, who shared thalamus. Because of this they were able to hear each other’s thoughts and see through the eyes of each other.
29. Eyes heal quickly. With proper care it only takes 48 hours for the eyes to repair a corneal scratch.
30. Box jellyfish have eyes with lenses, corneas and retinas similar to our own. Despite this their eyes are permanently out of focus. This is because they don’t have a brain, just a ring of nerves around their mouth.