1. After receiving the salary, cash out a general amount of money that you will need for the next month. At the same time, try to completely abandon the non-cash payments: although they are very convenient if you do not have the discipline, you can spend more money than you should. Spending cash is psychologically more difficult: you feel like you are deprived of it.
2. Create a budget for the current month. Do not be lazy, because without having planned budget you’re unlikely to succeed. Calculations should be quite accurate: you should be clear how much money you will spend on each category. Categories can be food, payment for the apartment, debt payments, mobile communications and the Internet, transport, personal care, and others. In addition, it is desirable to allocate a small amount (eg, 10% of budget) for entertainment and pleasant things that you can afford a few times a month: it will help you not to get depressed because of sharply reduced costs.
3. TAKE paper envelopes – one for each category. Then put in each envelope the amount which you decided to spend on respective category. If you run out of money in an envelope, you will not be able to spend more on this category by the end of the month. That is why it is important to thoroughly calculate budget. If in the end of the month, you still have money, they are automatically transferred to the budget for the next month. Of course, you can use instead of envelopes special mobile application, but they will require a greater discipline.
4. For the first time you may not perfectly calculate the budget, but do not despair: the second or the third time you will be close to reality. And you will notice first results after six months, when you have a “safety cushion” in case of emergency such as firing or health problems.
5. Saving money on abstract future costs is not easy. If you want to save up for something specific: for example, a new smartphone, you can create a separate (optionally virtual) envelope with savings allocated specifically for it. But in any case, do not put off on such things all the free money: after buying an expensive thing you after you run the risk to be again left without savings. Something must necessarily go into the general savings.
6. If you do not want to give up (or you can not refuse) cashless payments, put in envelopes instead of real money fake one: for example, from the table game “Monopoly.” If you make a bank transfer payment, then remove the money from the envelope as you would have taken out the real, – the psychological effect associated with the waste of cash, will work anyway.